Arlington Transportation Partners (ATP) works with local vanpool companies to help secure an easy and affordable commute both in and out of Arlington County. We succeed in forming and filling commuter vanpools by working with interested riders and local employers.
Unlike carpools, commuter vanpools are eligible for the transit benefit (up to $260/month). Using transit benefits to pay for the vanpool allows it to be one of the most cost-effective commute options modes available.
Learn more: What is a Vanpool? | Benefits & Incentives | Vanpool Companies | I-66 | Resources | Blogs
What is a Vanpool?
Vanpools are like carpools—they consist of a driver and passengers with similar commute origins and destinations. However, the similarities end there since vanpools accommodate four to 15 passengers and must use a vehicle that has at least seven available seats. Vanpools are also considered transit by the federal government and vanpool participants can pay for their vanpool ride with a transit benefit.
Vanpools are most cost effective when they start at least 15 miles or more from their destination. The pricing for the van depends on the number of riders and the distance you are traveling.
How to start a commuter vanpool at a company
- ATP meets with employers and interested individuals to discuss vanpool opportunities at your organization
- The team assists to find additional riders both at a company or nearby locations to reach the minimum (4) number of riders
- ATP connects interested riders with a local vanpool company to start next steps of securing a vehicle
- The team coordinates with employers to connect a rider’s transportation benefits
How individuals can join a vanpool
- Visit JoinAVanpool.com
- Submit contact information and work hours
- Vanpool companies in the area will check to find matches for specified commute route and times and follow with commuters to let them know of potential ride matches for them